IBRSC Committee: Minutes 10th April 2017

< Back

Committee Meeting

IBRSC COMMITTEE MEETING ON 10th April 2017: 19:30hrs @ club house

Minutes


Apologies: Rob Pettit, Tony Tahourden, Uta Greisenbach

Present: John Smith, Chris Smith, David Simpson, Nick Marley, Gareth Griffiths, Mike Storey (Chair), John Oldham ( minutes), Colin Bristow, Alexis Villiers, Mike Jones, Tessa Groves, Dave Baldwin, Tony Sproat ( Julie Harrison – for RTC debate)

Sailing school debate:

This urgent debate preceded a truncated committee meeting.

The following was circulated a verbally outlined by Colin:

Following a Barnstormers sailing school meeting, a club member directly contacted the RYA to discuss training to become an SI. It is unclear on the exact contents and nature of the discussion; but the RYA discussed the requirements of a Recognised Training Centre (RTC) with that club member.

It would appear that a particular topic of discussion was the requirement to have an SI onsite to oversee all training activities, even if these are not related to RTC based training.

Colin as RTC principal subsequent received an email e-mail directly from the RYA head office; also including the current RYA Regional Development Officer (Steve Mitchell).

The RYA stated that the approach of IBRSC club based training activities (Barn owls and stormers and trisail) and the RTC are operating at different levels of safety. This was unacceptable to the RYA. There are two aspects to this:

- This is especially important when considering beginner sailors (with no experience) and also those who are improving.

- The person attending a course is not responsible for understanding the different safety standards that apply to RTC and non-RTC courses. If an incident / issue occurred, the RYA would measure the club against the expectations for an RTC.

The club could expect support from the RYA only if we comply with those standards.

Colin’s understanding, from subsequent conversations with the RYA, is that club based training could only now continue. Providing safety was not be compromised at any point to the satisfaction of the RYA rules, in that a suitably trained individual would need to be onsite during these sessions.

As RTC principal, Colin has personal responsibility / accountability in relation to all things safety related.

There is no excuse, but it would appear that we been operating outside of RYA guidance for some time now. We need to address this.

There are more discussion to happen with the RYA to further qualify how we may continue with RTC and club based training, but we are all aware that club based training activities are due to start in the next few weeks.

Being cognizant of this, Julie and Colin discussed three high level options for discussion:

  1. We continue with RTC and work to identify how IBRSC training and RTC training can occur in parallel:
  1. In the short term, no club based sail training can take place without Julie or I on-site
  2. Documentation would be required for all helpers with club based training
  3. Introduce a more structured approach to the club based training activities
  1. We drop RTC status for sailing; and look to reorganize around power boat instruction only:
  1. We need to understand from the RYA whether this status would have implications relating to sailing training
  1. We stop all RTC activities:
  1. Insurance cover should be verified for club members supporting the club based activities
  2. Validate the insurance cover for parent helpers who are not club members


Following this outline an extensive debate occurred concerning both the presence of a Senior Instructor on site at all times of training and the ratio of rescue boats to students.

Mike J and others commented that various historic discussions has occurred with the RYA and the RYA knew the Island barn practices, making allowance for the type of water and activities undertaken.

It was stated that the stopping of any training activities at this stage of the year would be hugely detrimental to the club. However safety was paramount and the RYA stance had backed us into a corner so doing nothing was not an option.

The option of voluntarily stopping the RTC was mooted; this could be stopped at any point and was a better option than the RYA removing our status.

It was agreed that Mike and Colin would meet with Steve Mitchell on Steve’s return from holiday. Clearly the RYA would not wish to lose us as members and the club operates an effective safe rescue system therefore there may be room for compromise and ensure that Colin as Principal is not compromised and the Club reputation is protected.

Further urgent business:


Rear Commodore-House- Tony Sproat

Club house roof

The club roof is leaking and Tony’s assessment is that any repair now can only be temporary as the fibreglass has corroded in so many places. There was an action to Tony to obtain a quote for a suitable repair. Tony reported that the best product would cost around 15/16 K including scaffolding and application. This would extend the life of the roof by twenty years. The committee approved this due to the need to keen the integrity of the building. This cost will be partially borne by not completing less urgent repairs or renewals in the building.


Rear Commodore-Works : David Simpson

Since the last committee meeting there have been new ramps built into the water and a working day when the following tasks were achieved:

  • Boats moved – In the end we had to move fewer boats than initially feared; even so, there appeared to be more boats to move than re-berthed. Maybe the berthing is now tidier.
  • Chains, anchors and scaffolding poles recovered
  • Berthing chains laid in car park and beyond lasers
  • Two pontoons moved from East to West, although one needs repositioning as the wind was causing severe problems at the end of the day
  • Derelict boats and windsurfers cut-up
  • Lasers and Visions serviced
  • New mooring weights made
  • Last few trailers moved, so TW can continue with their track to the SW corner
  • Outside benches re-oiled
  • Windows cleaned – you can now see out of them
  • Skip filled with rubbish
  • And ………. there are always other important tasks that get completed in the background


The committee discussed the new ramp up the bank for which funds have been provided by Thames Water. Thames Water however does need a plan to sign off the works; this will be provided by Russell before he starts the works. Action to Dave S to ask Russell for this

A suitable capstan winch has been found by Tony T and this will cost around £3K.

A new topper mast rack needs to be built near the new club boat site. This will have tubes for the club boats and spare for members on a first come basis. The rack will be set in concrete. John O will obtain permission from TW.

The spider type bird scarers seem to work, Dave B has devised a method of building suitable duplicates at a more agreeable price. He will build a few and test out multiple on one pontoon for effectiveness. There will be a need for a method to store the scarers when not in use.