Sailing Committee Meeting, 22nd June 2017


Sailing Committee

Minutes - Sailing Committee Meeting

Date: 22 June 2017
Time: 1930
Location: Clubhouse

Attending: Gareth Griffiths (chair), Simon Bean, Uta Griesenbach, Mike Jones, Dave Simpson,
Not attending: Colin Bristow, Mike Storey, CJ Cavallari,
Apologies: Ian Peace, Chris Smith, Dave Baldwin

Minutes prepared by Uta Griesenbach


Item

Discussion

Actions

Fleet starts

Gareth questioned whether fleets work? This winter not many Lasers and Solos were out. Maybe a handicap start (slow and fast) would work better. Fleet captains canvassed opinions and there were no strong objections. Aeros don’t want separate start currently and are happy to start as handicap. All agreed to try handicap start in summer season.


New start sequence, 2 starts fast then slow (opposite to Wednesday), cut off handicap 1000, laser and slower, slow start. Fast start will have aero 7 and 9, aero 5 in slow. If drop from 7 to 5, still race in fast. Will be given handicap for 5. Rig swapping allowed for laser and aero

Prizes will retain a class element

Experiment for summer series, reassess at end of summer

Aero (no separate extraction, stay handicap) and RS200 (extract individual)


Anniversary: fast and slow start, not gold and silver

GG to circulate details to the full committee and membership


UGto check with Nick if he would be happy to extract RS200 results


Wednesday series

Proposal: Pursuit races instead of class racing may be a better option.

Decision: Cant be done. Race needs to be certain length, this is not possible early and late in the season unless all races are kept short. Idea was dropped


No action required

Match Racing: May 6 2017

Good event. Do again next year

MJ to organise

Feva match racing

Fleet to small, take off agenda

No action required

Kids vs adult race

Suggestion was approved



MJ to decide day and organise

Fun day July 23 2017

Usual format

MJ to organise

Nick M to put on Website

MJ to inform membership asap

October Cruise Sept 30+Oct 1

3 Skippers for rental yachts identified + 1 or 2 private boats

MJ to organise

Nick M to put on Website

MJ to inform membership asap

Boat maintenance

Caroline (lastname?) agreed to support Alexis


Mike J agree to overhaul toppers.




Dylan Emmett is considering to help with Visions, but is currently looking for a partner to share task.


Label visions with big numbers to make reporting easier

No further action



MJ to overhaul toppers and buy 2x4.7 sails from Elmsbridge grant


Final decision outstanding




UG to order big numbers

Training

William Tahourdin runs J80 training at Royal Southern Training and spaces are sometimes available– Mike suggested to ask club teens if they are interested


MJ to make contact with Will T

TrySail

Offer to include free use of boat in 1 yr membership to attract TrySailors. Needs committee approval

CS to discuss at committee meeting

Boat shelters

Would be useful to have a video on website. Collin Bristow agreed to look into this at March committee meeting



UG to speak to Colin

Social sailing

At March meeting Collin Bristow agreed to circulate RYA info and info from other clubs on how this could be run and advertised

UG to speak to Collin

Andrew Simpson Sailing Foundation

At March meeting Collin Bristow mentioned that free toppers may be available.

UG to speak to Collin

Bird faeces

Spiders work, but are expensive. Dave B may be able to make cheaper models

UG to speak to Dave B

Buoys

Floating boys repaired rather than newly purchased. Thank you Mike J

No action required

Summer season

Split at commodores day, commodores prizes on day, spring series prize later as commodores day is busy.


GG to decide date for spring series prize giving

RYA training

Mike S was planning to talk to Mike J and Chris S re feasibility of running RYA training in parallel to TrySail and Sailing school. Lots of support to enable both.

Mike J prepared to do DI and SI

Gareth planning to do SI

UG to remind Mike S to move this forward

Liability Insurance

Liability needs to be reviewed. Nobody really clear

UG to read insurance policy and feed back

Organisation of upcoming Opens and Events

Management of event needs to be improved to maximise participation. Task and people responsible need to be clarified and assigned early.

Mike J generated a spreadsheet listing events and tasks for 2017

UG to set up dropbox that all sailing committee members and other relevant people can access and modify.

Streaker/Solo open

Simon Bean in charge. Organisation well in hand.


Commodores day

Mike J in charge. Organisation well in hand.


Round the island

GG to send reminder and overall organise, but cant be there on day. MJ is also away

GG to find a replacement

Nick M to add to website

GG to inform membership

Topper Open Coaching


Coming to IBRSC Sept 29th. Good publicity for club. Additional helpers (6) need to be found. Food needs to be provided. MJ and UG away (IB Sailing Cruise). James Williamson in charge for organising.

Alexis has confirmed that 5 rescue boats will be available

UG to keep an eye on progress and talk to James W about food

RYA Feva training

MJ organised this for March: 17/18 2018 -

Mike J and CJ involved

Needs 6 people (catering boats out and getting boats out)

MJ to organise

Sailing school

Collin cant do topper anymore, Johnathan taking over, but may need additional support because ~10 boats with real beginners. Should not exceed 10:1 ration, lower ratio much preferred.

CJ and Gareth working well together for Feva/laser-

ALL: Helper for JL needs to be identified

Topaz

Thanks Chris: 2 Topaz resurrected for minimal money. These work well for TrySail. A third boat would be very useful. In future this avoids use of Solos for Trysail and makes all Solos available for TryRace

CS to look into an additional abandoned Topaz

AOB

Circulate minutes to all membership to improve communication in addition to having minutes on website

UG to circulate and send to Nick M for Website

Next meeting

Early/Mid October

UG to arrange date