The Construction of the Reservoir

cutting.jpg

Metropolitan Water Board

Island Barn Reservoir

Ceremony of Cutting the First Sod

October 24th, 1908

In 1900 the Lambeth Water Authority obtained an Act of Parliament authorising the construction of a reservoir designed by their engineer, Mr T F Parks, to hold approximately 1,000 million gallons, and the necessary land was acquired by the company. 

Read about the ceremony of "Cutting the first Sod" in this official presentation from the Thames Water Archives, or a report in "The Engineer" of 30th October 1908 (go to page 460).

opening.jpg

Metropolitan Water Board

Island Barn Reservoir

Opening Ceremony

November 4th, 1911

Competitive tenders having been invited for the work, the contract was let to Messrs Robert McAlpine and Sons at the sum of 152,727.  The actual construction of the reservoir was commenced on 24th October 1908.

Read the official recording of the opening ceremony from the Thames Water Archives, or an account of the completion in "The Engineer" of 10th November 1911 (go to page 494), and of the opening ceremony, in "The Engineer" of 10th December 1911.